Delaware River Watershed Fellow
The Pocono Environmental Education Center (PEEC) is working with other local environmental centers in an effort
to build a network focused on constituency building and stewardship of the Delaware River Watershed. This
network of 23 environmental centers seeks to hire an individual for a 12 week summer fellowship designed to
advance our collective impact across the watershed.
PEEC is one of the most respected and recognized residential environmental education centers in the Northeast,
whose mission is to advance environmental education, sustainable living, and appreciation for nature through
hands-on experiences in a national park. We offer a variety of opportunities for year-round exploration of the
natural world within the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area (DWGNRA) to educate and engage
approximately 24,000 annual visitors.
The Watershed Fellow will serve as an ambassador for PEEC and the Delaware River watershed by engaging our
local community, emphasizing the importance of stewardship and helping PEEC reach and engage new and
underserved audiences. By the end of the 12 weeks of service, Fellows will have become local watershed experts
and will have introduced many new people to their local trails and waterways, in addition to PEEC, as well as the
steps they can take to help restore and protect the Delaware River Watershed.
Position Location: 538 Emery Road Dingmans Ferry PA, 18328 – located within the Delaware Water Gap National
- Engage target communities in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, surrounding towns, and
Delaware watershed through stewardship, education, recreation and civic engagement.
- Participate in a 3 day Watershed Stewardship Training at Pocono Environmental Education Center.
- Complete a required Capstone project to be presented at the end of season Watershed Fellowship
Summit. This individual project should help enhance network goals, deepen the connection and engagement of
trail and water users and expand watershed protection and restoration.
- Fellows will be expected to participate in regular online interaction with the other Watershed Fellows through an
online discussion platform.
- Fellows will be expected to visit at least two other Environmental Centers in the network in order to gain a more
complete understanding of the Delaware River watershed.
PEEC specific tasks:
- Interact with visitors, trails users, and local communities on behalf of PEEC.
- Serve as resident expert on local watershed issues related to the Delaware River and Delaware Water Gap
National Recreation Area.
- Prepare and present engaging, hands-on environmental and recreational programming which includes events and
activities at the center as well as outreach to local communities.
- Lead interpretive hikes on PEEC’s trails.
- Collect and analyze visitor survey data related to trail usage and public programming.
- Assist with day to day operations as needed
Qualifications and Experience:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; superior interpersonal skills with a demonstrated commitment to
cultural diversity also necessary.
- Must be people oriented, have a team-focused attitude, and the ability to professionally represent
PEEC and the center network to the public.
- Willingness to work Friday through Sunday and two additional days each week
- A positive attitude, as well as comfort working independently as a leader and part of a team, when needed.
- Ability to work in a dynamic fast-paced environment; strong time and project management skills needed. Must be
self-motivated and willing to work in a flexible, non-structured environment.
- Ability to move up to 40lbs and set-up equipment (i.e. tables, chairs, A/V equipment)
- Ability to hike on trails, traverse stairs and uneven terrain; comfortable in a canoe or kayak
- Ability to work outside in a variety of weather conditions
- Valid driver’s license required
- River experience or certifications in lifeguarding/first aid are desirable
PEEC is dedicated to building a culturally diverse organization and strongly encourages applications from
minorities and women.
Compensation: This position pays $9.50 to 12/hr – depending on if PEEC housing is provided. Fellows will serve
35-40 hrs/week for 12 weeks.
The Watershed Fellowship position has the potential of an extension for an additional 240 hours after the initial
12-week period of employment. The extension can take the form of an additional six weeks of full-time
engagement or be spread out over the balance of the calendar year.
Application Deadline: April 14, 2019
Position Start Date: June 3, 2019
How to apply:
Please send cover letter, resume, and 3 references to:
Director of Operations
Pocono Environmental Education Center