2021 Delaware River Watershed Fellowship at Pocono Environmental Education Center
Start date: June 7-16, 2021
End date: August 20-27, 2021
The Delaware River Watershed Fellowship is a 12 week, paid summer job opportunity designed to introduce young people from local communities to careers in environmental education. Fellows are hired at one of 23 environmental education centers across the Delaware River Watershed. Fellows participate in training sessions to help prepare them for a summer of helping people connect with nature and informing their local communities about issues affecting the Delaware River, the source of drinking water for 13 million people living in the region.
Pocono Environmental Education Center (PEEC), a member of the Alliance for Watershed Education (AWE), is seeking to hire a Fellow from the Greater East Stroudsburg area to help connect with local community members around protecting the Delaware River and its waterways.
Position Location: Pocono Environmental Education Center, 538 Emery Road, Dingmans Ferry PA 18328. The fellow will spend much of their time working on-site at the center, as well as within the Greater East Stroudsburg area.
Compensation: Fellows are paid $15/hour, 35-40 hours a week over the summer.
- Fellows will participate in a 3-day watershed education training, at the Pocono Environmental Education Center (overnight, June 16-18.) https://www.peec.org (Depending on COVID limitations some or all of this training may take place virtually.)
- Fellows will help their host Center lead programs and activities, whether in-person or virtually, for community members and visitors to their site.
- Fellows will attend virtual webinars as well as in-person meetings with Fellows from
other AWE Centers.
- Fellows will be paired with mentors from AWE Centers as well as past Fellowship
alumni. Fellows will check in with their mentors twice a month.
- With guidance from their supervisor and mentors, Fellows will focus their efforts on a specific Capstone Project and present their work at the end-of-program Summit event (August 20).
- Fellows will document their progress by completing a short log report every week.
The PEEC Fellow will specifically:
- Greet PEEC visitors, answering questions about the center, trails, and surrounding park
- Talk with trail users in and around PEEC, providing resources such as trail maps and
having users complete surveys.
- Lead (or assist with) environmental education and programming at the center as well as
off-site (whether virtually or in-person). Includes public programs, outreach opportunities,
community events, etc.
- Work with PEEC staff to determine how we can better serve our local communities and
their interests and needs
- Assist with daily upkeep of building and grounds. Includes trail and exhibit maintenance as well as cleaning and clerical assistance.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Age 18+ by June 7, 2021 start date.
- A background in environmental education is not required.
- A positive attitude and willingness to greet visitors and start conversation with strangers.
- Able to work independently or as part of a team in a dynamic, unstructured environment
- Willingness to work weekends, including Fridays and two other mid-week days.
- Able to hike on trails and uneven terrain
- Experience in a canoe or kayak is desired, but not required
- Valid state driver’s license required
- June 7-16, 2021: Fellow start date at PEEC (Fellows may arrange with their Supervisor to begin any time within the first week of the program.)
- June 16-18: Required Watershed Stewardship Training (overnight) at Pocono Environmental Education Center. (Meals and accommodations provided.)
- August 20: Watershed Fellowship Summit (location to be announced).
- August 27: Last day of Fellowship (Fellows may finish their term of service any time after the August 20 Summit as needed.)
How to apply:
Email or mail a resume and at least 2 references to:
Derek Scott Director of Operations
538 Emery Road, Dingmans Ferry PA 18328
Application Deadline: Wednesday, April 14, 2021
More about Pocono Environmental Education Center
The Pocono Environmental Education Center (PEEC) is located within the 77,000 acre Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, along the Delaware River, and is within driving distance of New York City & Philadelphia. PEEC’s mission is to advance environmental education, sustainable living, and appreciation for nature through hands-on experience in a national park. Our goal is that by engaging visitors and local communities we can cultivate an interest and appreciation in the outdoors that sparks a desire to learn more and take action to protect our natural resources.
More about the Alliance for Watershed Education
Organized in 2016, the Alliance for Watershed Education of the Delaware River is a regional initiative of twenty-three partnering environmental education centers, funded and supported by the William Penn Foundation. Each of these centers is located along the Circuit Trail or a major connecting trail, and on waterways throughout the Delaware River Watershed in Delaware, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.
This position is made possible through the support of the William Penn Foundation.