2023 Delaware River Watershed Fellowship at the Pocono Environmental Education Center
Start date: June 5-14, 2023 End date: August 18-25, 2023
The Delaware River Watershed Fellowship is a 12 week, paid summer job opportunity designed to introduce young people from local communities to careers in environmental education. Fellows are hired at one of 23 environmental education centers across the Delaware River Watershed. Fellows participate in training sessions to help prepare them for a summer of helping people connect with nature and informing their local communities about issues affecting the Delaware River, the source of drinking water for 13 million people living in the region.
Pocono Environmental Education Center (PEEC), a member of the Alliance for Watershed Education (AWE), is seeking to hire a Fellow from East Stroudsburg or Stroud Township to help connect with local community members around protecting the Delaware River and its waterways.
Position Location: PEEC is located in Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area (DWGNRA) at 538 Emery Road, Dingmans Ferry, PA 18328. The Fellow will spend much of their time at PEEC as well as in and around East Stroudsburg and Stroud Township parks such as Dansbury Park, Brodhead Creek Park, and others along the Levee Loop Trail.
Compensation: Fellows are paid $15.50/hr, 35-40 hours a week over the summer.
- Fellows will participate in a 3 day watershed education training, at the Pocono Environmental Education Center (overnight, June 14-16.) http://www.peec.org/ (Depending on Covid limitations at the time, some or all of this training may take place virtually.)
- Fellows will help their host Center lead programs and activities, whether in-person or virtually, for community members and visitors to their site.
- Fellows will attend virtual webinars as well as in-person meetings with Fellows from other AWE Centers.
- Fellows will be paired with mentors from AWE Centers as well as past Fellowship alumni. Fellows will check in with their mentors twice a month.
- With guidance from their supervisor and mentors, Fellows will focus their efforts on a specific Capstone Project and present their work at the end-of-program Summit event (August 18).
- Fellows will document their progress by completing a short log report every week.
The Pocono Environmental Education Center (PEEC) Fellow will specifically:
- Greet center visitors, answering questions about PEEC, the trails, and surrounding National Park.
- Engage with trail users in and around PEEC, providing resources such as trail maps and having visitors complete surveys.
- Lead (or assist) with environmental education programming at the center including school groups, scout groups, summer camp, and public programs.
- Lead off-site outreach efforts in East Stroudsburg and Stroud Township through community partners.
- Work with current staff to determine ways to better serve our local communities and their interests and needs.
- Assist with daily upkeep of the building and grounds. Includes trail and exhibit maintenance as well as cleaning and clerical assistance.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Age 18+ by June 6, 2022 start date.
- A background in environmental education is not required.
- A positive attitude and willingness to greet visitors and start conversation with strangers.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule, usually involving Friday to Sunday weekend work. Some programming may require evening work.
- Able to hike on trails and uneven terrain for programming.
- Valid state driver’s license required
- June 5, 2023: Fellow start date at PEEC (Fellows may arrange with their Supervisor to begin any time within the first week of the program.)
- June 14-16: Fellowship Orientation (overnight) at PEEC. (Meals, transportation and accommodations provided.)
- August 18: Watershed Fellowship Summit (location to be announced).
- August 25: Last day of Fellowship (Fellows may finish their term of service any time after the August 18 Summit as needed.)
How to apply:
Email or mail a resume to:
538 Emery Road, Dingmans Ferry PA 18328
Application Deadline: Wednesday, April 26, 2023
More about Pocono Environmental Education Center
The Pocono Environmental Education Center (PEEC) is located within the 77,000 acre Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, along the Delaware River, and is within driving distance of New York City & Philadelphia. PEEC’s mission is to advance environmental education, sustainable living, and appreciation for nature through hands-on experience in a national park. Our goal is that by engaging visitors and local communities we can cultivate an interest and appreciation in the outdoors that sparks a desire to learn more and take action to protect our natural resources.
More about the Alliance for Watershed Education
Organized in 2016, the Alliance for Watershed Education of the Delaware River is a regional initiative of twenty-three partnering environmental education centers, funded and supported by the William Penn Foundation. Each of these centers is located along the Circuit Trail or a major connecting trail, and on waterways throughout the Delaware River Watershed in Delaware, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.
This position is made possible through the support of the William Penn Foundation.