2022 Delaware River Watershed Fellowship at the Pocono Environmental Education Center
Start date: June 6-15, 2022 End date: August 19-26, 2022
The Delaware River Watershed Fellowship is a 12 week, paid summer job opportunity designed to introduce young people from local communities to careers in environmental education. Fellows are hired at one of 23 environmental education centers across the Delaware River Watershed. Fellows participate in training sessions to help prepare them for a summer of helping people connect with nature and informing their local communities about issues affecting the Delaware River, the source of drinking water for 13 million people living in the region.
Pocono Environmental Education Center, a member of the Alliance for Watershed Education (AWE), is seeking to hire a Fellow from the greater East Stroudsburg area to help connect with local community members around protecting the Delaware River and its waterways.
Position Location: Pocono Environmental Education Center, 538 Emery Road, Dingmans Ferry, PA 18328
Compensation: Fellows are paid $15/hr, 35-40 hours a week over the summer.
Duties expected of every AWE Fellow:
- Fellows must participate in a 3 day watershed education training, at the Pocono Environmental Education Center (overnight, June 15-17.) http://www.peec.org/ (Depending on current Covid limitations some or all of this training may take place virtually.)
- Fellows will help their host Center lead programs and activities, whether in-person or virtually, for community members and visitors to their site.
- Fellows will attend virtual webinars as well as in-person meetings with Fellows from other AWE Centers.
- Fellows will be paired with a mentor from across the Alliance for Watershed Education. Fellows will check in with their mentors approximately twice a month for a 1 hour call.
- With guidance from their supervisor and mentor, Fellows will focus their efforts on a specific capstone project and present their work at the end-of-program Summit event (August 19).
- Fellows will document their progress by completing a short log report every week.
The Pocono Environmental Education Center Fellow will specifically:
- Greet center visitors, answering questions about PEEC, the trails, and surrounding National Park.
- Engage with trail users in and around PEEC, providing resources such as trail maps and having visitors complete surveys
- Lead (or assist) with environmental education programming at the center including school groups, scout groups, summer camp, and public programs.
- Lead off-site outreach efforts in the greater East Stroudsburg area through community partners
- Work with current staff to determine ways to better serve our local communities and their interests and needs.
- Assist with daily upkeep of the building and grounds. Includes trail and exhibit maintenance as well as cleaning and clerical assistance.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Age 18+ by June 6, 2022 start date.
- A background in environmental education is not required.
- A positive attitude and willingness to greet visitors and start conversation with strangers.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule, usually involving Friday to Sunday weekend work. Some programming may require evening work.
- Able to hike on trails and uneven terrain for programming.
- Valid state driver’s license required
– June 6-15, 2022: Fellow start date at Pocono Environmental Education Center (Fellows may arrange with their Supervisor to begin any time within the first week of the program, but must begin in time for the required 3-day orientation training.)
– June 15-17: Required Watershed Stewardship Training (overnight) at Pocono Environmental Education Center. (Meals, transportation and accommodations provided. Depending on current Covid limitations some or all of this training may take place virtually.)
– August 19: Watershed Fellowship Summit (location to be announced).
– August 26: Last day of Fellowship (Fellows may finish their term of service any time after the August 20 Summit as needed.)
How to apply:
Email or mail a resume and cover letter to:
Director of Operations
Application Deadline: Wednesday, April 13, 2022
More about Pocono Environmental Education Center
The Pocono Environmental Education Center (PEEC) is located within the 77,000 acre Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, along the Delaware River, and is within driving distance of New York City & Philadelphia. PEEC’s mission is to advance environmental education, sustainable living, and appreciation for nature through hands-on experience in a national park. Our goal is that by engaging visitors and local communities we can cultivate an interest and appreciation in the outdoors that sparks a desire to learn more and take action to protect our natural resources.
More about the Alliance for Watershed Education
Organized in 2016, the Alliance for Watershed Education of the Delaware River is a regional initiative of twenty-three partnering environmental education centers, funded and supported by the William Penn Foundation. Each of these centers is located along the Circuit Trail or a major connecting trail, and on waterways throughout the Delaware River Watershed in Delaware, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.
This position is made possible through the support of the William Penn Foundation.