The Tulpehaking Nature Center at the Abbott Marshlands (the Nature Center) is working with the D&R Greenway Land Trust and other local environmental centers in an effort to build a network focused on constituency building and stewardship of the Delaware River Watershed. This network of 23 environmental centers, spread across the Delaware River watershed, is interconnected by The Circuit, the regional trail network of multi-use bike/pedestrian trails and waterways (rivers, streams, creeks.) The Centers network seeks to hire 23 young people (one at each center) for a 12 week summer fellowship designed to advance our collective impact across the watershed. This program will foster watershed stewardship by establishing a team of ambassadors and building capacity for a network of centers.
The Delaware River Watershed Fellow will serve as an ambassador for the Tulpehaking Nature Center, D&R Greenway, and the Delaware River watershed by engaging our watershed community, emphasizing the importance of watershed stewardship and helping the Nature Center reach and engage new and underserved audiences. By the end of the 12 weeks of service, Fellows will have introduced many new people to their local trails, waterways, and environmental center, as well as the steps they can take to help restore and protect the Delaware River Watershed.
At both Centers, the Fellow will gain a firm foundation in what it takes to develop and run environmental education and awareness programs, from planning the message and activity to marketing it through community contacts and social media. Regular activities will include building relationships with community groups, interacting with children and families, and leading hands-on programs about nature, wildlife and other topics appropriate to the Abbott Marshlands. Introduction to the plants, wildlife, and history of the Abbott Marshlands will be available.
Position Locations: Tulpehaking Nature Center, 157 Westcott Avenue, Hamilton NJ 08610.
D&R Greenway Land Trust, 1 Preservation Place, Princeton, NJ 08540.
Qualifications and Experience:
- The Tulpehaking Nature Center is dedicated to building a culturally diverse organization and strongly encourages applications from minorities and women.
- Spanish-speaking candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
- At least 18 years of age by the June start date
- Available Tuesday-Saturday
- Good phone and computer skills (especially Google Documents, Microsoft Word, Excel)
- Strong organizational skills
- Must be people oriented, have a positive attitude, and the ability to professionally represent the Nature Center to the public
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and juggle multiple, changing priorities
- Must be self-motivated and willing to work as a member of a team
- Able to lead walks/hikes through varied terrain
- Valid state drivers’ license required
- Engage target communities in the Abbott Marshlands and Delaware watershed through stewardship, education, recreation and civic engagement.
- Participate in a 3 day Watershed Stewardship Training at Pocono Environmental Education Center (overnight, June). http://www.peec.org/
- Complete a required Capstone project to be presented at the end of season Watershed Fellowship Summit.
- Fellows will be expected to participate in regular online interaction with the other Watershed Fellows through an online discussion platform.
Center specific Tasks:
- Greet visitors and the community on behalf of the Tulpehaking Nature Center and D&R Greenway.
- Help develop a community outreach program, building relationships with community groups, scheduling and running table activities at community events
- Assist with environmental education programs, camps and summer field trips
- Assist with weekly tasks as needed, including the native plant nursery, animal care, and office tasks
- June 2: Fellow start date
- June 10-12: Required Watershed Stewardship Training (overnight) at Pocono Environmental Education Center. (Food and accommodations provided.)
- August 14: Watershed Fellowship Summit.
- August 22: Last day of Fellowship
Compensation: This position pays $12/hr. Fellow will serve 35 hrs/week.
How to apply: Send a letter explaining why you are interested in this fellowship and how your skills will benefit the job to Kelly Rypkema, Manager at email@example.com
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until March 27, 2020.
For more information, contact Kelly Rypkema at 609-888-3218.