Delaware River Watershed Fellowship 2018 at the Schuylkill River Greenways NHA
The Schuylkill River Greenways National Heritage Area is a member of the Alliance for Watershed Education, (AWE), a coalition of 23 environmental education centers focused on constituency building and stewardship of the Delaware River Watershed. Centers in the Alliance are connected by the Circuit Trails, the regional trail network of multi-use bike/pedestrian trails and waterways (rivers, streams, creeks.) The Alliance seeks to hire 46 young people (two at each center), for a 12-week summer fellowship designed to advance the collective impact across the watershed. The Fellows program will foster watershed stewardship by establishing a team of ambassadors and building capacity for the Centers involved and the Alliance as a whole.
The Schuylkill River Greenways NHA is a National & State Heritage Area that encompasses the Schuylkill River Watershed through parts of five counties: Philadelphia, Montgomery, Chester, Berks and Schuylkill. SRG’s mission is to connect residents, visitors and communities to the Schuylkill River and the Schuylkill River Trail by serving as a catalyst for civic engagement and economic development in order to foster stewardship of the watershed and
The Delaware River Watershed Fellows will serve as an ambassador for the Schuylkill River Greenways NHA and the Delaware River watershed by engaging our watershed community, emphasizing the importance of watershed stewardship and helping SRG reach and engage new and underserved audiences. By the end of the 12 weeks of service, Fellows will have become local watershed experts and ambassadors to their community and will have introduced many new people to their local trails, waterways, and environmental center, as well as the steps they can take to help restore and protect the Delaware River Watershed.
Position Location: SRG is located at 140 College Drive in Pottstown. Fellows will spend their time in Pottstown, but will also be expected to visit partner sites in other parts of the Heritage Area for various activities.
- Engage target communities in the Schuylkill River watershed and Delaware watershed through stewardship, education, recreation and civic engagement.
- Required to participate in a 3-day supportive watershed stewardship training at Pocono Environmental Education Center (overnight, June 13-15.) http://www.peec.org/
- Fellows will be expected to participate in weekly webinars and check-ins.
- Fellows will attend 2 (two) in-person regional meetings.
- Complete a Capstone Project and present at the end of program Summit.
- Provide environmental educational activities and lessons for elementary school-aged children
- Design and purchase materials for a traveling educational box that includes supplies for nature crafts and conservation lessons.
- Tabling at farmer’s markets and community events to provide information about our organization, the watershed and nature-based children activities.
- Assist SRG Education Coordinator with Schuylkill Explorers educational programs.
- Research educational programs we may want to implement here.
- Assist with monthly weekend Pedal & Paddle programs.
- Work with local libraries and municipal camps to host weekly environmental education sessions.
- Organize a weeklong summer camp for elementary school children to be held in August.
- Organize two outdoor movie nights in communities along the river.
- Research information about water quality monitoring and existing water quality data currently available for the Schuylkill
- Complete a required Capstone project to be presented at the end of season Watershed Fellowship Summit, August 17. This individual project should help enhance network goals, deepen the connection and engagement of trail and water users and expand watershed protection and restoration.
- Assist with daily office tasks as needed.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Age 18 by June 4 start date.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; superior interpersonal skills with a demonstrated commitment to cultural diversity also necessary.
- Experience working with children.
- Some environmental educational experience preferred.
- Comfortable working outdoors
- Must be people oriented, have a team-focused attitude, and the ability to professionally represent the Schuylkill River Greenways NHA and the network to the public.
- A positive attitude and good sense of humor, as well as comfort working independently as a leader and part of a team, when needed.
- Ability to work in a dynamic fast-paced environment and juggle multiple, changing priorities; strong time and project management skills needed. Must be self-motivated and willing to work in a flexible, non-structured environment.
- SRG is dedicated to building a culturally diverse organization and strongly encourages applications from minorities and women.
- Occasional evening and weekend hours required
- Valid state driver’s license required or proficient with public transportation
- Able to lead walks/hikes through varied terrain, comfortable in a canoe or kayak
- June 4, 2018: Fellow start date at Schuylkill River Greenways
- June 13 – 15: Required Watershed Stewardship Training (overnight) at Pocono Environmental Education Center. (Food, transportation and accommodations )
- August 17: Watershed Fellowship Summit at John Heinz NWR, Philadel
- August 24: Last day of Fellowship
Compensation: This position pays $12/hr. Fellows will serve 35-40 hrs./week for 12 weeks.
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter and resume to:
Schuylkill River Heritage Area
140 College Dr.
Pottstown, PA 19464
Application Deadline: Sunday, April 15, 2018