2022 Delaware River Watershed Fellowship
at Schuylkill River Greenways National Heritage Area
Learn more and apply here.
Start date: Between June 6 – 15, 2022 End date: Between August 19 – 26, 2022
Schuylkill River Greenways (SRG), a member of the Alliance for Watershed Education (AWE), is seeking to hire a Fellow from the Reading, PA area (preferably someone fluent in both English and Spanish) to help connect with local community members around protecting the Delaware River and its tributaries, including the Schuylkill River. SRG is committed to building a workforce that matches the diversity of the communities we serve. We are dedicated to celebrating and preserving a heritage area that is diverse, equitable and inclusive. We value the different experiences, knowledge and unique capabilities applicants will be able to share because of varying social, cultural, and racial backgrounds.
The Delaware River Watershed Fellowship is a 12-week, paid summer job opportunity designed to introduce young people from local communities to careers in environmental education. Fellows are hired at one of 23 environmental education centers across the Delaware River Watershed. Fellows participate in training sessions to help prepare them for a summer of helping people connect with nature and informing their local communities about issues affecting the Delaware River, the source of drinking water for 13 million people living in the region.
Position Location: Schuylkill River Greenways is located at 140 College Drive, Pottstown, PA 19464. The Fellow will spend much of their time in and around Pottstown and Reading, but some events will take place in other areas of the watershed in Philadelphia, Chester, Montgomery, Berks, and Schuylkill Counties.
Compensation: Fellows are paid $15.50/hr., 35 hours a week over the summer.
Duties of every AWE Fellow:
- Fellows will participate in a 3-day watershed education training, at the Pocono Environmental Education Center (overnight, June 15 -17). Depending on Covid limitations some or all this training may take place virtually.
- Fellows will help their host Center lead programs and activities, whether in-person or virtually, for community members and visitors to their site.
- Fellows will attend virtual webinars as well as in-person meetings with Fellows from other AWE
- Fellows will be paired with a mentor from across the Alliance for Watershed Education. Fellows will check in with their mentors approximately twice a month for a 1-hour call.
- With guidance from their supervisor and mentors, Fellows will focus their efforts on a community engagement summer project and present their work at the end-of-program Summit event (August 19).
- Fellows will document their progress by completing a short log report every
The Fellow at Schuylkill River Greenways (SRG) will specifically:
- Create eye-catching graphics (social media posts, flyers, informational handouts, etc.) using Canva or other design programs to inform SRG followers about events, programs/projects, and watershed education.
-Create marketing materials (flyers, social media posts, etc.) for SRG’s partner outfitter Take It Outdoors Adventures to encourage participation in paddling, bicycling and other recreational activities along the Schuylkill River and Trail
-Manage and promote two outdoor movie nights along the Schuylkill River. One at Riverfront Park in Pottstown, PA (July 1, 2022) and one in Schuylkill Haven, PA (Aug. 4, 2022)
-Help organize and advertise a beginner-friendly biking and kayaking day in Reading at Riverfront Park (Date TBD – potentially July 16, 2022)
-Participate in two days (between July 31 and Aug. 3) of the 2022 Schuylkill Acts & Impacts Program, a weeklong watershed expedition along the Schuylkill River (kayaking and camping optional)
– Assist on 1 or 2 days of SRG’s Schuylkill River Sojourn event, a weeklong paddling excursion (kayaking optional)
-Engage Reading community (including Latino/Latinx/Hispanic populations) and communicate with SRG partners to raise awareness about free beginner-friendly bicycling and kayaking event
-Assist in distributing a trail survey to residents of Reading and invite residents to attend public meetings about the Schuylkill River Trail
-Help create advertising signs and other promotional materials for Latin Festival taking place in Pottstown.
-If fluent in Spanish, help translate materials such as flyers and surveys to Spanish
-Assist with environmental education and programming along the Schuylkill River Trail
Qualifications and Experience:
- Age 18+ by June 6, 2022, start date
- Valid state driver’s license required and reliable transportation
- Reading area resident preferred
- The fellow will be working in Spanish-speaking communities, SRG is seeking to hire a candidate fluent in Spanish and English (preferred)
- Experience in social media management, graphic design, writing/communications & marketing
- Comfortable welcoming and talking with visitors to the center and park, excited to help run environmental education programs outdoors with children and adults
- Comfortable working outdoors
- Enjoy working with a team and independently, teamwork will be needed for events and SRG projects, working independently as a leader will be helpful when working on the community engagement summer project
- Occasional evening and weekend hours required for movie nights, trail survey distribution in Reading, and community engagement summer project
- Able to walk or hike through varied terrain, open to trying kayaking in the Schuylkill River (no prior kayaking experience necessary)
- June 6-15, 2022: Fellow start date at Schuylkill River Greenways (Fellow may arrange with their Supervisor to begin any time within the first week of the program)
- June 16-18: Required Watershed Stewardship Training (overnight) at Pocono Environmental Education Center. (Meals and accommodations Depending on current Covid limitations some or all this training may take place virtually.)
- August 19: Watershed Fellowship Summit (location to be announced).
- August 26: Last day of Fellowship (Fellows may finish their term of service any time after the August 19 Summit as needed.)
How to apply:
Candidates can either email a resume and letter describing your interest to the email below OR complete an online form (CLICK HERE)
Send resume and letter to:
Miica Patterson, Communications Director
Complete online application form at:
Application Deadline: Friday, April 8, 2022
More about Schuylkill River Greenways
The Schuylkill River Greenways NHA is a National & State Heritage Area that encompasses the Schuylkill River Watershed through parts of five counties: Philadelphia, Montgomery, Chester, Berks and Schuylkill. SRG’s mission is to connect residents, visitors and communities to the Schuylkill River and the Schuylkill River Trail by serving as a catalyst for civic engagement and economic development in order to foster stewardship of the watershed and its heritage.
More about the Alliance for Watershed Education
Organized in 2016, the Alliance for Watershed Education of the Delaware River is a regional initiative of twenty-three partnering environmental education centers, funded and supported by the William Penn Foundation. Each of these centers is located along the Circuit Trail or a major connecting trail, and on waterways throughout the Delaware River Watershed in Delaware, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.
This position is made possible through the support of the William Penn Foundation.