Saturday, June 22nd 2019
12:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Schuylkill River Greenways in partnership with the Blue Mountain Eagle Climbing Club invites you to celebrate the first Saturday of summer with a heritage bike tour. The 13-mile bicycle tour, beginning at the State Street Trailhead in Hamburg, is along the Bartram Section of the Schuylkill River Trail. Bicyclists will ride through the beautiful, mountainous views of upper Berks and Schuylkill Counties. The trail is canopied by trees on both sides, making it a very shaded path enjoyable on warmer days.
RHODODENDRON: SUMMER-FLOWERING SHRUB
It blooms mid-July to August alongside the trail and makes the path that more scenic. Learn more about the flowers through one of three educational sessions that will be part of the tour. The bicycle tour will end at an ice cream parlour and everyone gets a FREE CONE!
MAKE A DAY OF IT!
Right next to the ice cream parlor, the community will be enjoying the Hamburg Hoopla, an outdoor music festival that honors past and present musicians from the Hamburg Area. Bands will play from 1 p.m. until dusk. Admission is free. Food, beer and wine will be available for purchase. Start your afternoon with biking and continue the fun in Hamburg at the Hoopla event. More information about the event will be available soon at www.hamburgpa.org.
MORE ABOUT THE BIKE TOUR
Tour guides will be spread out along the 13-mile bike route and will discuss different aspects of the area’s heritage. From railroads to geology, participants will gain a unique perspective of the region they are cycling through. Riders will end the tour at the Hamburg Sweet Treats ice cream parlor for a free cone, which is conviently next to the Hamburg Hoopla festival.
TOUR STOPS ALONG THE TRAIL
– Mile 2.75: You’ll learn about the history of the Appalachian Trail, which intersects with the Schuylkill River Trail, and the history of Port Clinton.
– Mile 6.5: The Schuylkill River Trail currently ends at an old Pennsylvania Railroad bridge in Auburn but the bridge will soon be rehabilitated as part of the extension of the Schuylkill River Trail. This session will reveal details about the project and some railroad history.
– Mile 10.25: This session will be all about rocks and flowers. Learn about the geologic formations of the area and interesting facts about the rhododendrons that grow so plentiful along the trail.
– Mile 13: Stop at Hamburg Sweet Treats for a FREE ICE CREAM CONE.
KEEP IN MIND
– The trail is a firm crushed stone path. Road bikes will not do well on a such a trail.
– Bikes are available to rent: The cost of a bike rental is $40. To reserve a bike, contact Riverbend Cycles at the email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 484-539-9006. Just let them know you are seeking to rent a bike for the Rhododendron Ride event on May 25 and the bike will be ready for you at the start of the ride.
– Helmets are required for this ride.
– Water stations will be available along the ride but please bring your own water bottle (as cups won’t be provided) and snacks.
For more information about the Rhododendron Ride, contact Schuylkill River Greenways at 484-945-0200 or email email@example.com.